Monday, September 8, 2008

First Attempt at Blogging!


Hey! My name is Amanda and this is my first year in the Faculty of Eduction at the University of Lethbridge! I was born and raised in Swift Current, Saskatchewan and began my post-secondary education at the University of Alberta in 2005. After my first year at the U of A, I decided to transfer to the U of L as I had finally decided that becoming a teacher was the path for me! My major is General Social Sciences with a focus in History, Sociology and Psychology.

After spending another summer as a Parks Play Program Leader - my wonderful job back in Swift Current - my initial thoughts of what career path I would like to take were confirmed. It made my summer to spend each day with a group of extraordinary children, to learn from them and discover that no matter what their background, any child can thrive and do wonderful things in life. I also learned that I would love to be a contributor to their success. My summer went quite smoothly, as the only conflict to arise was a young girl crying to me for some time about how another boy had called her a "pickle" [gasp!]. I am not naive enough to believe that my first years of teaching will go that smoothly but I am still very excited to begin my teaching career!

Okay, so my job wasn't the MOST exciting thing to happen to me this summer (surprise!). As of a week ago, my boyfriend (of five years tomorrow!) and I got engaged! My fiance, Stefan, is also new to the Faculty of Education this year ... you may remember him from section N. Family is very important to me so in my spare time, I love to be with him, my family and my friends. To close, I also very much enjoy traveling, playing guitar and piano, reading and being outside.

No comments: